Sunday, January 30, 2011

Setting the Containers

We had a beautiful couple of days here in eastern Oklahoma and managed to get a few things done. We were supposed to get a dozer in, but at the last min we received a call saying they wouldn't be able to deliver the equipment, instead they sent us a mega-sized forklift, which Tom says turned out to be a blessing.  Tom and Ronnie got started moving the containers onto the concrete runners. They had to fine tune it a bit to get the containers lifted onto the concrete because there is a half foot drop to the ground. They decided to use old logs and planks.  Ronnie lifted the containers with the forklift while Tom pushed the logs under the container, which they then used to roll the containers into place in front of the footings. Then Ronnie began pushing the container back onto the runners with help from Tom and his tractor.

The Equipment....A mega Forklift

Push Me, Pull You...Ronnie is dragging the container while Tom helps by pushing the other end over the humps and bumps.

Lining up the containers so they can be lifted onto the footings, they placed a log under the container and then Ronnie rolled the container until it was lined up.


Lifting the containers, Tom placed planks under the container on each side and in the middle to keep it raised up and level with the footings.

With the container lifted onto the footings, Tom and Ronnie can now work it down to the end of the footings.

Putting a vapor barrier into place before the final shove to the end of the footing.

The first one in place, only two more to go.

It took Tom and Ronnie 4 hours to set the first container, 1 1/2 hours for the second and 45 minutes for the last.

Both Tom and Ronnie worked very hard to get the containers set into place in one day. It was dark by the time they finished. But they did a fine job. Next we move onto the welding part of the project.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Road Home

We had two loads of gravel delivered.  This is the beginning of our new road to the containers from the entrance of our property.  We'll need to add a couple more loads of gravel after we have the containers in place.  The man from the power company came out and put up his flags for the poles to the containers. Tom will be working on moving the containers this coming weekend, so I should have another update soon. We are also in the process of prepping the containers. Tom has been sanding them down in the areas where they have been showing signs of rust. I've been helping him a bit by painting them with rust proof paint.

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Foundation...

Hi, it's been a few months since I've last posted.  Tom and I were on the road but we are now officially retired from the road! Woo Hoo!  We can start in earnest creating our container home.  We have been trying to get the foundation poured since Aug of last year.  First it was too hot, then too wet, then too cold, however, we've gotten a break in the weather, so we had the foundation poured today.  Next Tom will be working on removing the rust areas on the containers and then using a foundation and roof coating which will waterproof the tin cans.  Here are a few shots of the foundation being poured from earlier today.

The Septic is In! Hoorah!

     While Tom and I were out running around the country, my Teri and Ronnie were keeping the home fires going and taking care of business for us. They say you can pick your friends but not your family. However, every now and again one gets lucky, and you get a great family to go with your really nice friends. So I just want to say a big Thank You to both Teri and Ronnie for doing all that you do for us.   
     We have a rock shelf, so they had to dig through that to get low enough to set the tank in place.  Ronnie took some great pics of the process. According to Teri, it took them all day long, to dig the trench, lay the pipe and drop the tank in.  Next is laying the foundation, sanding the containers, painting them with rust resistant paint and sealing them to keep them waterproof.