Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Beginning

We started with an idea.  To live underground, saving on energy costs, saving on building costs and we wanted to have the most unusual house on the block. My husband and I are not city folk.  The hustle and bustle of a big city, traffic, honking horns, sirens are not something we enjoy.  We like the quiet and solitude of the country, surrounded by trees, nature and lots of dogs.  As truck drivers we were able to 'shop' around the US for a place to live.  One of the greatest gifts I've ever been given is the opportunity to live anywhere I want and not where I need to live. We first decided we'd like Arizona, but changed our minds as there weren't enough trees for us. Then we found Oklahoma, on the eastern side, there are hills, trees and the solitude we were searching for so we purchased 20 acres on a hilltop with a seasonal stream. We continued trucking and discussed various types homes, everything from steel buildings to underground concrete homes.  We checked prices and kept looking.  One day we came across shipping containers, did some research online, and discovered the amazing things being done with them in terms of living spaces. So that was it, shipping containers met our needs and wants.  And they were cheap! We have purchased 3 high cube shipping containers, so called because they are 9'6" high as opposed to 8' high.  They are 8' wide by 40' long.  Below are the images taken by my brother in law as the containers were being delivered.






1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your blog today. The only thing I can think of is that I would want more windows with one over the kitchen sink. but I guess having that great screened in porch makes up for it. Best Wishes, Jackie in Colorado

    ReplyDelete