Thursday, January 12, 2012

The real live Living part of 'Living in a Tin Can'

Well, it has been awhile since I've posted, but I promised I would give reports as to how living partially underground is working. I am thoroughly enjoying my house. It is spacious (at least to me after living in a big rig for 8 yrs) and comfortable. It has been unseasonably warm here in OK the last few months. That is definitely not a complaint, I love it here.

But it was not possible to test whether or not we'd remain warm in cold temperatures until now. It is 23 degrees with a wind chill making it feel like 9 degrees, outside.  In the containers it is 73 in the front area where the pot bellied stove sits. In the back area of the place it is 66. To me that's about as perfect as one can get.

The electric bill is pretty stable. I'm not anticipating any major rise in my electric bill due to colder weather.  The nice thing about having a pot-bellied stove for heat is that if the power goes out, I still have heat. When we initially discussed it, I decided I didn't want to have to deal with propane/gas for anything.  Even with a gas heater one has to have the electricity to run it. Not to mention if we get snowed/iced in we'd never be able to replenish the propane. And I can cook on this stove, my husband bought this particular type of stove for that reason.

My husband says he's glad he decided to add 18,000 BTU A/C though, he's not sure whether the building will remain cool enough in the summer, which can at times be brutal here. Last year was exceptionally hot, temps into the 100s for months at a time. But, he is adding an enclosed porch to the entrance, which I think, along with this special paint I purchased (Kool Seal) will help keep things moderate in here.

Kudos to my husband, Tom, who did a wonderful job building this place! And thank you to Ronnie for all your help, you also did a great job.

Here is the view from my front door!

3 comments:

  1. Mary, that's quite a view.....peaceful .....it must be very quiet around there....before you know it, you will have to buy a big rig so you can go outside and sit in it for old times sake...LOL! Consider yourselves very fortunate to have a cozy, warm home. I like it. Be sure to post your gardening efforts this spring, and more photos of the outside of your home. Saw one guy on tv made a home out of a dumpster container.....way too small!! maybe shelters for the homeless...ha ha ha....Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. พีจี กับเว็บที่ให้บริการ pg slot ฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ดีอย่างไร ทุกวันนี้ การเดิมพันเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ นับว่าเป็นที่นิยมมากๆ เลยทีเดียว เพราะเป็นการให้บริการที่นักพนันหลายคน ให้ความ

    ReplyDelete
  3. PG SLOT ทุนน้อยก็รวยได้ แม้ว่าคุณจะมีทุนน้อย แต่อยากเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์นั่นไม่อยาก​เลย เพราะในแต่รายการใช้เงินลงทุนน้อยมากถึงมากที่สุด พีจีสล็อต ไม่ต้องลงทุนเยอะก็มีโอกาสรวยได้

    ReplyDelete